Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Arad Fort and cool kids

Military kids are the best kids around.  They know what it is like to be the new kid and are the most welcoming and friendly kids I have ever met.  My kids will start a new school next week and each of them has already met at least one kid in their classroom.  I have met the room mom for my son's class, and one of the teachers for the other 5th grade class.  It is spring break, not everyone is here, but I have met lots of people and my kids are loving it.  

Princess Auditioned for a play, and has a part, she has rehearsals every day this week.  Buddy is hoping to start dodge-ball next week.  (I guess it is competitive here)  They competed in a 2-mile fun run and Easter Egg hunt on Saturday.  

Daddy went to work this today, so we had a fun day exploring.  I took the kids to a 15th century Portuguese Fort today.  This is the Arad Fort, right next to the huge modern Seef Mall.  It was cool, but aside from paying BD 1 to get in, there wasn't any signs or people to tell you what you were seeing.  It was cool anyway. 

This is my new favorite picture of my kids.

This is the inside, a lot of ruins, with no one else around.

 This is the view from the top looking in.  the thing in the middle has water in it, so it may have been some kind of well, but again, there were no signs, so I don't know.

 There were also no railings on the very steep stairs and you could walk along the ledge between the 2 stairs in the following picture, no railing.  But oh so cool.

The walls look like stone, but then you go into a slightly covered room and really look at them. The walls are full of fossils and shells.  This was built about 500 years ago. There isn't history like this very many places.  

 This is inside a room, under the stairs, taken by Scout.

This picture is for Grandma J, the kids saw this and said, that she collects shells like this in Florida, it was part of the walls.

We also saw a show on base from Bikes over Bagdad.  It was a touring BMX group, and really cool. the kids loved it, but the pictures are on Princess's camera, I will have to get some later.

No comments: