Friday, June 14, 2013

Cork Canoes

The first of many summer craft projects was making cork canoes.  These were really in-expensive ($2.38 for 4 canoes plus paint I already had) and the kids love them.
I followed the tutorial at Apartment Therapy  It was a 2 day project because after soaking it takes a long time to dry before you can paint.  We started by cutting, soaking and forming.

It was a very wet day and the kids took the scrap pieces of cork out to play in the street.  They were floating lego guys and playmobil people out in the road.

 
Since they were already wet I let them walk around the block in the rain where they promptly found LOTS of mud.

 The next day after gluing and painting we got to test them out in the creek, yet another excuse to get wet.
 Buddy also took out his remote control boat and had lots of fun driving that around the little boats.  Of course after the storm there was also a lot of weeds that kept getting caught around the prop, so we had to pick it up to clean it fairly often.
 This is my boat being swamped by the waves.
 The girls with their boats.

Daddy and Scout had a chance to drive the boat, Scout didn't like the ideas of the cork boats in the water.
 
The 3 kids with their boats... not a great picture, but I was trying.

No comments: