Saturday, June 15, 2013

Annapolis Quilt Show

Sometimes I am completely spoiled.  It is Fathers Day weekend and I am the one getting spoiled.  Daddy took all 4 kids to Grandma and Grandpa's house so I could go volunteer at the quilt show.  It is great to volunteer at a show, especially to be a white glove attendant.  You get to wear white gloves and walk around lifting up the quilts to see the backs.  You get to talk to LOTS of people and learn about lots of different quilts.  Plus you get into the show for free and at this show you get free lunch and snacks.  It could not be much better for someone like me.

Check out some of my favorites.This is a cool Log Cabin and in the 1st pic you don't see the houses stand out. 
 Then you take a step back and they pop out at you.  This quilt was hand quilted.
 This year's challeng was Quilt me a song. There were some very cool entries.  This is Raindrops.
 Abbey Road
 Fireworks inspired by her grandson's picture.
 I loved this quilt, it combined beautiful piecing with wool applique.
 This pineapple quilt was beautifl, the picture doesn't show it best, but it was beautiful.
 This was a wedding quilt where all the guests at the wedding signed the squares and then they were used as a border of the quilt. 
 I am usually not a big fan of thread painting.  It is making a quilt with different color threads, but this one was AMAZING.  Those leaves are appliqued on in a solid color and then they are detailed with hand embroidery.  Then the whole thing is hand quilted.  I was very impressed.
Look at the tip of that one leaf, thousands of tiny stitches.
 This type of family quilt is becoming more popular, with the ability to print on fabric you can add lots of pictures to your quilt. However this one is unique on the back.
 The creator added a block that shows each persons name and the details of the quilt.  In another 50 years you will know the names and the story behind the quilt.
 One of the best things about this quilt show is the country store.  All the quilters in the guild. (this guild has more than 100 members)  go through their stash and sell anything that they don't want.  So you can get lots of stuff for REALLY cheap.  I found some fabric I could use, but my best find of the day is this.
 Simple metal case, but open it up and there is 140 wooden spools of thread.  All for the bargain price of $10. 
 Look at those cool labels.
 Then for 50 cents I got all these cool spools of Belding-Corticelli pure silk thread.  I did a Google search and found this.  This thread was sold door to door in the 1920s and 30's, so cool.

So now that I found this treasure do I finally create the wreath I want? That has empty spools with paper wrapped around them and would be a waste of all the beautiful thread.  I don't know.  I am counting on my sister to give me some fantastic ideas about this one.

No comments: