Thursday, January 15, 2009

Lactose

Ever since the kids all had the stomach flu we have had some challenges with Munchkin. She has had an average of 7 poopy diapers a day. Plus she is really gassy and is waking up SEVERAL times every night crying and then goes back to sleep in anywhere from 1 to 20 minutes later after the gas has passed. Needless to say, we haven't had much sleep lately.


I finally made the connection that she may have a temporary lactose intolerance. I did some research and as of yesterday we have eliminated all milk from her diet for a week. She only had one poopy diaper yesterday and slept great last night. Now I just need to figure out when to re-introduce dairy back in her diet. From what I have read, I need to wait a week and then start with cottage cheese and active culture yogurt. Hopefully this will solve the issue and we won't have any long term impacts.

1 comment:

Krista said...

Another thing you may want to try is giving her some acidophilus. I always give some to my kids when they are having problems with digestion and/or when they come off a round of antibiotics. You can get it in powder form at the health food store (the place on Colley carries brands just for kids) and just mix it in w/some juice.