Monday, August 5, 2013

History in Linen

My family is a lot of pack rats.  We keep lots of stuff that most people would not.  I love being able to look through stuff and see the history through it.  Even though the sheer volume of stuff is a little bit excessive.  My mom is going through piles of her stuff and passing it along or getting rid of some of it.  My kids got some cool dress up clothes that my mom had made for me and my sister when we were kids. I got some cool stuff too.

We found this in the bottom of a trunk. I remember shopping at Louis Fashion shop, I think it went out of business in the mid 1980's.
 In it was this.

 We are pretty sure it is my grandmothers wedding underwear.   It is pretty cool.  The bra has very little elastic and has lots of shaping sewn in.  It is beautiful to look at.  My grandmothers wedding dress is very stunning and it fit my sister when she was about 14 years old.  She was a tiny and very fashionable woman. I think my aunt has the dress now.
 The bottoms are very small and the lace is see through.
 The sewing on them is impressive, since the only elastic is around the waist, the bottom is gusseted.
It is a cool reminder of the grandma that I remember and loved.  

Also in the trunk was a few other cool things. 
We think my grandmother volunteered in the war for the red cross. This cross is hand sewn on a linen scarf and is kind of cool. 

There was also a large head scarf with this embroidery.  It was in it's own box and was my grandmothers.  (it does not look like it was ever worn)

It was intended to be mailed to someone.
 It has its own directions for how to wear it.  I am tempted to wear it somewhere, it is pretty cool.
 There were also a whole bunch of clip on earrings. My grandmother never got her ears pierced, and I remember her wearing clip on earrings everywhere.  This is on Munchkin.


 None of them are particularly valuable, but they are pretty cool.

Then there was some other cool linens some of these were boxed and had never been used, like this one.
 with the sticker still on it.
 It is all part of history, and I love it.

No comments: