Some days with kids are tougher than others... today was one of those days. Munchkin has been sick for a while and we got antibiotics on Monday. She was not improving, so we went back to the doctor late this afternoon, she now has 2 raging ear infections and we got more antibiotics. Of course I had all 3 kids with me and after keeping them somewhat quiet in the exam room we went to the empty pharmacy waiting area (within the clinic) So I let them run in circles around all the chairs. Of course what happens next is that my son runs into a chair HARD.
He has a huge gash on his forehead with blood runing down his face and despite being at the doctors office they won't do anything except give me a bandage and send me to the ER about 4 miles away. But of course in the process of all this I had dropped my keys and don't realize until I am in the parking lot in the rain (Hurricane Hanna is set to arrive tomorrow) and I have to take all 3 kids back into the clinic and search for my keys. I finally get all 3 kids buckled in when Buddy says he has to go pee. At this point I have determined that I am not bringing all 3 kids inside the clinic AGAIN, so he has to hold it until we get to the ER. We finally get there and his pants are damp, and it is a good thing I keep extra clothes in the back of the van.
Of course he screams while they take his temperature and blood pressure. It was a challenge but finally they put us in a room where there was a TV which calmed him down.
THEN finally daddy shows up in the ER and I got to leave with the girls and stop at Chick-Fil-A for dinner before heading home. Daddy and Buddy showed up at home an hour and a half later. It turns out that the papoose didn't work for a strong 3 year old. It took 3 people to hold him still while the Dr stitched up his head. Then the boys had to go out for cheeseburgers and chocolate milkshakes, after taking a little tour of the ambulance and getting stickers from the EMT on the ambulance. I am just thankful that everyone is OK, and at 9PM all children are finally asleep in their own beds. The day is over and I want a glass of wine.
2 comments:
Oh, the joys of motherhood! I'm not sure if it's healthy that I read this, I'm stressed out with you! However, today I watched an old Oprah where she had Jon and Kate and their 8 children (twin seven year olds and six 3 1/2 year olds in what they describe as a fertility nightmare). They have a reality show and I've added it to my TIVO favorites list--thinking it should give me some perspective.
Holding him down was such fun... Rachael did mention that it took three of us. His upper body was tied up in a sheet, the two nurses were holding down his shoulders and providing head control, and I was basically laying down on his thighs and hips and holding on to his wrists. He could, and did, still move.
I'm glad we went to Doumars for shakes, burgers and fries afterwards - his mental state markedly improved after getting to take a breather checking out the ambulances and eating.
I anticipate futher battles tomorrow over the bandaid on his head...
Daddy
Post a Comment